How To Navigate UNIBO
Looking and Registering for Classes:
Here are some steps to navigating the complicated UNIBO website.
1. The fastest way to find a class is to look under your faculty. If you are an ERASMUS or Overseas student, then you can look under any faculty you want. To find your faculty, go to UNIBO home page and then click on facoltà/faculty located under the search bar.
2. From there, you will get a list of all the faculties at UNIBO. You can click on the one that fits your faculty or interests you the most. For example: Lettere e Filosofia
3. When you click on the facoltà, a new home page will appear. This home page is specific to the facoltà. It has all information you may want/need on events, news, courses, professors, and other key information. The best way to find the classes for 2012 is to click on the option Orario delle lezioni. This will bring up a page with the general break-down of the school semesters base on credit units (CFU).
4. Click on the blue link labeled Orario delle lezioni to see the actual classes that are offered during the school year of 2010/11. You will see a search engine page. If you do not know what classes you want to take, you can use the drop down bar to help you make generalizations. For example: you can choose the category Lettere. You have the option of then choosing the type of Laurea. When you have made all your decisions you can click the Effettuta Ricerca button. (For a guide to the different academic terms, see the page Glossary for International Students).
5. You will then get a long list of all the classes offered under this category (sometimes the classes that show up do not necessarily pertain to what you have chosen as your heading). It may be helpful to look at all the drop down options when attempting to find a class. You can look at the start day of the class and the general program of the class—where it meets, and when. ATTENTION: these classes are for both first and SECOND semester so make sure you pay attention to the starting dates otherwise you may think you are taking a class that starts in November, that actually starts in February. (It is a good idea to try many different classes. You do not have to stick to two or three but can try at least four or five, that way if you do not like one of the classes, you still have many other options).
6. Make sure to write down the classes, and the professor’s name, that interest you. It will be helpful when you are filling out your Piani di Studi, looking up the syllabus, or looking up information on the professor.
To Find Information on Your Class or on Your Professor:
If you have picked some classes that interest you, but want to know what the course actually is and who the professor is, then this will make the process easier.
1. You can go back to the home page of your facultà and type in the name of the professor into the search bar. For example: Porta Paola
2. You will then get a list of search results, one of which will be the class you are hoping to take. If you click on the class you want, for example, 30342 - ARCHEOLOGIA E STORIA DELL'ARTE CAROLINGIA E OTTONIANA (1) (LM) you will be taken to the page that explains the course requirements. If, after reading the course description, you want to know more about the professor, you can scroll to the top of the page and click on the professor’s name, example: Porta Paola. This will take you to the professor’s website.
3. Hopefully there will be a picture of the professor, along with his/her office hours, and contact information. From there, in the left menu bar, you can look at all the classes --INSEGNAMENTI -- s/he is teaching and see if there are other classes that are of more interest to you. You can also read about his/her work as a professor and researcher. There is also a list of all of his/her publications.
4. If you click on any of the classes that the professor is teaching, you will be taken to the link that explains the nature of the course.
Filling out the Piano di Studi
After you have picked all the classes that interest you, you are ready to fill out your Piani di Studi.
1. Go to the UNIBO home page. On the left menu bar there is a section called “Servizio Online.” There is a drop-down bar under “Studenti” that has an option called “piani di studi online.” Pick that one and then click on the blue arrow.
2. A page will show up asking for your username and password. You should have this from when you did your inscription with the University of Bologna. It should be your UNIBO email address (firstmiddle.last firstname.lastname@example.org -- email@example.com) and then the designated password (which you can then change).
3. After you have logged in, you will arrive at the welcome page. Press the blue button to begin filling out your Piani di Studi. A page will appear with a blue button that says “agiungi.” This is the link to find your classes and then register them to your piano.
4. The search engine will show up, along with a list of all the classes you can put on your Piani di Studi. The most effective way to find your class is by typing in the name of the professor/docente and choosing the facoltà.
5. When you click on a box it will automatically add it to your Piani di Studi. You can remove, add, remove, add as many times as you like. You can also add as many courses as you like with as many credits as you want. When you fill out your Piani di Studi your are signing up for all the classes for which you want to take the exam. You can take as many exams as you want. ATTENTION: there are often many of the same classes but offered for different CFU. This is just a way of deciding how many hours you will take of the class and thus what material you will cover on the exam. If you are not sure which credit load you want to take, you have time to decide. You can also ask other students what they think, or the professors themselves.
6. Now that you have added all the classes you want to take, you click the “avanti” button. This takes you to a page that allows you to save, by clicking “salva,” all the courses to your Piani di Studi. (If you do not like one of the classes, you can click “indietro” and make all the changes you want.) After you have saved you can print your Piani di Studi or return to the home. (Remember, you can always go back online to make changes to your Piano di Studi).
7. Do not forget to talk to your advisors at your home university to make sure that you will get credit for the classes that you take.